The Board contracts with ABC for examinations. Applicants must pass an examination for each individual water, wastewater and lab classification with a minimum score of 70%.  Backflow Assembly Tester (BAT) applicants will complete an initial course (including passing the hands-on portion) and need to pass the ABPA examination (certificates must be submitted) or pass the ABC examination scoring 70% or higher before the BAT applicant is issued a license. 

The current application deadlines and Board meeting dates can be found here.

The Board recently made changes to the exam process The Board is now contracting with testing centers located throughout the state to offer online examinations. If you are approved for examination, you will receive a letter from the Board. You can then contact one of the testing centers listed below to schedule the exam at your convenience:

  • North Idaho College - Workforce Training Center - Post Falls - 208-769-3214

  • Lewis-Clark State College - Lewiston - 208-792-2100 or email testing@lcsc.edu

  • College of Western Idaho - Nampa or Boise - www.cwidaho.cc/exams

  • College of Southern Idaho - Twin Falls - 208-732-6569

  • Idaho State University - Pocatello - howejami@isu.edu

  • Eastern Idaho Technical College - Idaho Falls - testing.center@my.eitc.edu

Written exams will be offered in April and October at the Bureau of Occupational Licenses in Boise.

ABC's standardized exams consist of 100 multiple choice questions with a 3 hour time limit.  Very small water system exams consist of 50 multiple choice questions with a 3 hour time limit. 

Operator training is available from various resources at locations throughout the state. Visit the Training Links and Resources page on this website to locate a training provider near you. If you are unable to attend a training class, ABC has identified study manuals to help prepare applicants for the licensure exams.

ABC's Need to Know criteria for testing can be found here.

Testing results for Idaho for 2011 can be found here.

Testing results for Idaho for 2012 can be found here.

Testing results for Idaho for 2013 can be found here.

Testing results for Idaho for 2014 can be found here.

Testing results for Idaho for 2015 can be found here.

                                                                                              A.D.A. NOTICE

If you have a disability as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, and you require special accommodation, please review the information for requesting accommodation, and attach an application for accommodation, and a written request for special accommodation that identifies the specific accommodations that are being requested to meet your special needs.  A request for special accommodation must be accompanied by current and historical medical documentation identifying your disability and supporting the need for the accommodations being requested. You may download applications for Drinking Water or Wastewater Licensure under the link entitled Forms.

If you have failed an examination, you must submit an Application for Re-Examination before you will be eligible to sit for the examination.