Licensure Application Process

Idaho law requires the licensure of all persons who practice or offer to practice as a water operator, wastewater operator, or backflow assembly tester in the State of Idaho through the Idaho State Board of Drinking Water & Wastewater Professionals. Every community and non-transient non-community public drinking water system and every wastewater treatment and collection system is required to have a licensed operator in responsible charge at all times the system (not just treatment plants) is functioning.


Each applicant for licensure shall submit a complete application for examination to the Bureau of Occupational Licenses together with the required fees to the Board. The applicant must request any supplemental third party documents that may be required. Once approved for examination,  applicants must take and pass a licensure exam to become licensed. Applicants are strongly encouraged to participate in a training class prior to taking a licensure exam. Licensure preparation and review classes are typically based on the designated “need-to-know” topics of information. Participation in training to become a licensed operator is optional, but highly recommended. Please see the licensure application process here and here

Applications for Drinking Water or Wastewater Licensure and Backflow Assembly Tester Licensure are available under the link titled "Forms" on the left.

The current application deadlines and Board meeting dates can be found here.                                                                                     


Applicants must pass a written examination for each individual classification in each type of licensure.  For more examination information click the EXAMINATION link above. ABC's Need to Know criteria for testing can be found here. If you have failed an examination, you must submit an Application for Re-Examination before you will be eligible to sit for the examination.


The Bureau must receive  completed applications at least 30 days prior to the next scheduled board meeting in order to be reviewed by the Board. Applications received less than 30 days in advance will be held until a subsequent meeting.


Applicants seeking licensure in any type or classification of licensure must submit a separate application for each type and classification of licensure. All applicants must complete and submit an application with the required documentation and fees.


Licensure is also available through endorsement.  If you have a valid license or certification in another state whose qualifications for licensure are not lower than Idaho's, the following must be received by the Board:

        - Official certification of licensure must be sent to the Bureau directly from each regulatory authority from which you obtained licensure. Such certification shall note name, address, current status, date originally issued, expiration date, and any disciplinary action imposed; and

        - A copy of the current regulations governing licensure in each jurisdiction from which you obtained licensure.

Board Rule 400 states: The board may waive the examination requirements and issue the appropriate license for applicants holding licenses issued by other States that have equivalent license requirements and who otherwise meet the requirements set forth in Subsections 150.02, 150.03, and 150.04.


Note: Professional and occupational licensing boards may accept militaryeducation, training, and experience toward meeting the qualifications for alicense, certification or registration. Boards may also expedite applicationsof military service members, their spouses or veterans. See establish experience or education please attach a copy of your DD-214.


System classification continues to be processed through DEQ. All information concerning system classifications, inspections, and classification worksheets may be obtained online or by contacting DEQ directly.