Frequently Asked Questions

Q.         Where can I find the application I need to submit for licensure?

A.         Applications may be found on the social work website under the link entitled Forms.

Q.         Do I have to take an exam if I hold a current social work license in another state?

A.         It depends, if you have taken the ASWB exam equivalent to the level of licensure that you are applying for and hold a current license, then the answer is no. See Rule 350.      

Q.         Can I apply for licensure with a degree in a related field that is similar to a social work degree?

A.         No, you must have a degree in social work from an accredited social work program.

Q.         I just graduated from school or will be graduating at the end of the current semester. What do I need to do to sit for the examination and obtain my license?

A.         You will need to submit a complete application to this office along with the required documentation and fee(s) before you are eligible to sit for the ASWB national exam. Once this has been received you will be notified by mail when approved by the Board. The letter will provide you with instructions for exam registration. Once you have passed the exam your license will be issued upon receipt of the official score and official transcript with degree posted.

Q.         If I fail the ASWB exam by one question could I be issued a license?

A.         No, you must receive a passing score on the examination before a license is issued.

Q.      Does Idaho have temporary licenses? 

A.       No. Licensure as a social worker is available through either endorsement or examination

Q.         Is there an inactive license status and how do I request it?

A.         Yes, you can request an inactive license prior to license renewal by completing the license renewal application form and writing on the form that you would like an inactive license and include the inactive fee with the renewal form. Review Rule 225.

Q.         How do I go back to an active license?

A.         You can request to go from an inactive license to an active license by sending a written request and show proof of twenty (20) contact hours of continuing education training taken in the previous 12 months. You must also submit a fee equivalent to the difference between the inactive and active renewal fee.

Q.         How can I renew my license?

A.         Six weeks prior to your renewal date, this office will send a notice in the mail. You can submit the completed renewal application along with a check or money order for the appropriate fee.


Up to (6) weeks prior to the expiration date, you can renew your license on line with a credit card by clicking on the link entitled On-line Renewal Application.  

Q.         Do I need continuing education for my first license renewal?

A.         No, you are not required to comply with the CE requirement during the first year in which you become licensed. The second time and every year after you renew your license you will need the 20 hours of continuing education that includes 1 hour of ethics.

Q.         My license has lapsed, what must I do to re-activate it?

A.           A license that has been lapsed less than five years may be reinstated upon submission of a renewal application, payment of the renewal and re-instatement fees, and submit proof of completion for the required continuing education.

 If a license has been lapsed for more than five years, a new application for licensure is required. Please contact the Bureau.

Q.         How many hours of continuing education do I need to maintain my license? Can I use excess hours for the next renewal?

A.         Licensees must annually complete twenty (20) contact hours of continuing education that includes 1 hour of ethics prior to license renewal. Hours in excess may be carried forward and may be used only during the next renewal period and may not be carried forward more than one (1) time. For additional information regarding the CE requirement please refer to Rule 351.

Q.         When do I provide the CE documentation to the Board?

A.         There are two instances when you are required to submit certificates of completion: 1) if you do not renew your license prior to the expiration date (your birth date) or 2) if you are randomly audited.

Q.      Do continuing education courses/seminars require pre-approval by the Board?

A.       No, it needs to meet the requirement as stated in Rule 351.

Q.         Can I do online continuing education courses?

A.         Yes, Rule 351.02.a states that internet based courses, and correspondence courses may be substituted for face-to-face contact if the course is interactive or requires an examination.

Q.         I am a licensed master social worker (LMSW) and want to start working toward my clinical license. How do I start?

A.         Complete the clinical supervision plan application and send it to the Bureau to be pre-approved by the Board of Social Work Examiners. You must have a registered LCSW supervisor for 50% of your supervision. You will be required to provide assessments, diagnosis and treatment at a mental health facility. Review Rule 210.

Q.         How do I become a registered clinical supervisor?

A.         You must have two (2) years’ experience as a licensed clinical social worker with no disciplinary action in the previous 5 years prior to the application for registration. Document fifteen (15) contact hours of clinical supervisor training as approved by the Board and completed the registration application to be approved by the Board of Social Work. Review Rule 211.

Q.      How can I obtain a list of licensed social workers? Is there a fee? 

A.       You may obtain a licensure list from this site by clicking on the link entitled License and Registration Search. At the bottom of the search screen you will click on “Advanced Search.” Once you have entered the appropriate licensing information click the “Start Search” option. To view additional contact information including mailing addresses, click on the “Send to Excel” option. There is no fee.

Q.         I am applying for licensure in another state and it requires verification of my Idaho license. What do I need to do? How long will it take to process my request?

A1.         You may submit a Request for License Certification form or send a written request to The Bureau of Occupational Licenses PO Box 83720, Boise, ID 83720-0063.  Include a payment of $10 (money order, cashier’s check, certified check, or personal check) as well as the address the verification of your license needs to be sent to.

A2.       The processing time is 3-5 business days. The Bureau can not accept credit card payments over the phone.

Q. Does the advanced supervision training have to be an in-person seminar/training or could it be taken through an online course?

A. It can be in person, online, or a webinar.

Q. How can I verify that the course I am interested in taking is approved by the board? 

A. The Board does not preapprove courses. As long as the course meets the following criteria, the Board will take it into consideration - Advanced Supervision Training: An opportunity to receive instruction in supervision topics beyond those covered in basic supervision training. Advanced training may focus on special topics or emerging and innovative methods in clinical supervision.

Q. If I am unable to take an advanced supervision course by the time my registration renewal is due, can I resume my supervisor role later on after I take the required course and provide the board documentation of this?

A. Yes, you would need to discontinue supervising until you have met the requirements and have been notified that you are recertified. 

Q. I am having difficulty finding a course in advanced supervision, can you give me some ideas of where Ican locate this course?

A. You can check with the colleges/universities and associations such as NASW and the Counselor and Marriage and Family Therapy associations. 

Q. How do I track my supervision hours?

A. To assist in keeping track of your supervision hours a sample log has been developed for your personal use. The use of the sample log is optional. The verification of supervision form submitted by your supervisor is the official record of supervision hours for the purpose of licensure. The sample log should not be submitted.