Applying for Licensure

No person, unless otherwise exempt, shall engage in the practice of or be appointed to the position of or serve as  a shorthand reporter or use the title of certified shorthand reporter or its abbreviations C.S.R. or CSR or any similar words or letters in conjunction with his name unless such person holds a valid temporary or regular certificate as a certified shorthand reporter.

Qualification and Exam Information for Applicants

Any applicant who is a citizen of the United States of good moral character, having graduated from an accredited high school or having had an equivalent education, shall be entitled to receive a certificate as a certified shorthand reporter upon payment of the required fees and upon providing proof of fulfilling the requirements of the Board.

All applications shall be on the form approved by the board and filed with the board at least thirty (30) days prior to the announced date of the reporters' examination. The board may make additional investigation and inquiry, or require additional information from the applicant, to determine the qualifications of the applicant. The board will notify applicants as to whether or not the application to take the examination is approved.

Applicants for certification must take and pass the Idaho certified shorthand reporter examination. Alternatively, applicants for certification must provide proof, satisfactory to the board, of having passed one of the following examinations within the two years prior to the date of the application:
    (a)  The registered professional reporter (RPR) examination;
    (b)  The registered merit reporter (RMR) examination;
    (c)  The registered diplomate reporter (RDR) examination; or
    (d)  The certified realtime reporter (CRR) examination.

Temporary Certificate

A temporary certified shorthand reporter certificate may be issued to an applicant who pays the fees required and who:
    (a)  Is of good moral character; and
    (b)  Has graduated from an accredited high school or has an equivalent education and either;
         (i)   Is currently licensed in good standing in another state as a certified shorthand reporter, or its equivalent, or has otherwise demonstrated his proficiency by a certificate from an agency of another state; or
         (ii)  Has graduated from a national court reporters association (NCRA) approved school.

All temporary certificates are issued for a period of one year and may be renewable for a single additional period of one year if you can establish that you have passed at least one (1) skills portion of a Board approved exam. (see Rule 400.02.b)

All applicants must complete and submit an application with the required documentation and appropriate fees.

You may download Application Forms here or request an application by writing:

Idaho Certified Shorthand Reporters Board
Bureau of Occupational Licenses
700 West State Street, PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0063