Frequently Asked Questions

Please note that most questions can be answered by reviewing other sections of the Board's website.  Board proposed changes to the Laws & Rules may be reviewed under the Proposed Laws & Rules link.  You may also e-mail the Board with any additional questions.

1. Where can I get an application to obtain a license in Idaho?

Go to the Forms Link on the Board’s Homepage. You’ll also find instructions for each application.

2. Is an examination required to get a license?

Yes, for an SLP or AUD license, passage of the PRAXIS examination is required. SLP Aide and Assistant applicants must receive a passing score on the Idaho Rule and Law exam that is included as part of the application. For Hearing Aid Dealer and Fitters passage of the ILE (written) and IHIS Practical, as well as Idaho Rule and Law exam are required.

3. Is a Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) from ASHA required to become licensed as an SLP or AUD?

No. However the applicant must have passed the PRAXIS, have documentation of at least a Master’s degree including a completed clinical practicum, as well as proof of post-graduate supervised experience as approved by the Board.

4. Is the PRAXIS the same as the National Examination I took in Speech Language Pathology/Audiology years ago?

Yes, just a new name.

5. Is Continuing Education required to renew my license and if so how much?

Yes, after your first renewal you will be required to obtain 10 hours per year: one contact hour equals one clock hour. Please review Rule 400 for more details. (ASHA requires 30 hours every three years, if ten hours of CE are completed each year as required by Idaho, the ASHA requirement will also have been met.)

6. When does my license renew?

Your license expires on your Birthdate each year.

7. Is there endorsement (reciprocity) with other states?

Idaho does not have reciprocity with any states. Licensure by endorsement is available if all requirements outlined in Rule 310 have been met.

8. Is it okay to send copies of transcripts and licenses I currently have?

Any supporting documentation must come from the issuing source; official transcripts from the college or university attended, examination scores from the Testing facility and licenses from the state that issued the license.

9. Do I have to list and request license certification from every state in which I have been licensed, even if a license has expired?

Yes. All state licenses must be reported and certification submitted with the application for review.

10. I live in another state; can I apply for a Provisional Permit?

No. Both the Permit Holder and the Supervisor must work in the same facility. Please review Rule 450 for further details. Please also check the link to Proposed Rule changes for any changes that may affect a future application for Provisional Permit.

11. For provisional permit holders who work part time, is there an exception to Rule 220.03.c regarding hours of onsite observation of direct client contact per quarter?

Yes. In reference to Rule 220.03.c, the Board will accept a cumulative total of at least 18 hours of onsite ovservation of direct client contact for the entire supervised experience.