Licensure Application Process

Idaho law requires the licensure of all persons who practice or offer to practice as a residential care facility administrator in the State of Idaho. 

The board will admit those applicants to the examination for licensure who:

    - submit the required application and pay the required fee; and

    - submit evidence of good moral character by providing a criminal background report obtained by either the Idaho State Police, Bureau of Criminal Identification or the Idaho Department of Health & Welfare, Criminal History Unit; and

    - are at least 21 years old; and

    - submit evidence satisfactory to the board of successfully completing a specialized course or a program of study in the area of residential care facility administration through the Idaho Health Care Association or through as required by the rules of the board; and

    - submit evidence satisfactory to the board of having met one (1) of the combinations of education and experience as provided in Idaho Code 54-4206.

   - pass the Board's open book examination of law and rules governing residential care administrators in Idaho.

Once all documentation is received notification of your admission to the examination for licensure will be sent. You may choose to take one of the following Board approved exams:  

National Association of Boards of Examiners of Long Term Care Administrators (NAB)

D&S Diversified Technologies (DBA Headmaster)

Provisional Permits

The Board may also issue a provisional permit to an applicant in order to fill an administrator vacancy on an emergency basis.  Only applicants who meet ALL of the requirements for licensure, but have not taken the examination are eligible for a provisional permit. Only one Provisional Permit may be issued to each applicant. A Provisional Permit is valid for a single three-month period only.

You may download Application Forms here or request an application by writing:

Bureau of Occupational Licenses
700 West State Street, PO Box 83720

Boise, ID 83720-0063

Residential Care (Assisted Living) Facilities are licensed and regulated by the Department of Health & Welfare’s

Bureau of Facility Standards.