The attached presentation will answer many questions for PTA applicants and licensees.

 Q.        I am applying for licensure in another state and it requires verification of my Idaho license. What is the process? How long will it take to process my request?

A.         Each state requires different forms of certification of licensure. Please check with the state where you are applying to see what is required before requesting certification from Idaho.

Certifications can be obtained two ways from Idaho:

1. Free primary source verification of license/registration status may be obtained via the web at Click on search licenses and registrations. These certifications contain all public information.

2. If the receiving state doesn't accept web-based certifications or requires information exempt from third-party disclosure (example: exam scores) to be included in the certification, use this form, which must include a notarized signature of the license holder and a $10.00 fee. The processing time is 3-5 business days. The Bureau cannot accept credit card payments over the phone.

Q.         Where can I find the application I need to submit for licensure?

A.         Applications may be found on the this site under the link entitled Forms


Q.         Am I allowed to take the national exam (NPTE) before I officially graduate from my PT/PTA program?

A.          Yes, candidates may sit for the NPTE no more than 90 days prior to the official graduation date. Before you are eligible to register for the exam, you must first submit to the Board the following material: A complete, notarized application form; including its addendum, the required fees (application, initial license, and administrative), the open book exam, and two (2) professional experience reference forms. You will then receive a letter providing exam registration information. Please refer to the Examination link for applicable deadlines.

Q.         I just graduated from school. What do I need to do to sit for the examination to obtain my license?

 A.        You will need to submit a complete application to this office along with the required documentation and fee(s) before you are eligible to sit for the board exam (NPTE). Once this has been received you will be notified by mail. The letter will provide you with instructions for exam registration.


Q.         I am a new graduate and my transcripts are not yet available. Is there another form of documentation to show I have graduated from a nationally accredited school?

A.         Yes, the Board may accept the Certificate of Professional Education form. This office must receive the original form that has been signed and certified by your program director verifying your education.

Q. Are there exam preparatory courses I can complete before (re)taking the national examination?

A. Yes, some of these courses are as follows:

* PEAT provided by The Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy

* International Educational Resources

* Team Educational Resources

Q.         What is the time frame for receiving a license once an application and required documentation is submitted?

A.         Once the application is complete, it is reviewed for compliance with law and rule  If compliance is confirmed a license will be issued in approximately 3-5 business days. For those which require Board review, the time frame varies and is dependent on the date of the next scheduled meeting.


Q.  How can I verify when my license has been issued? 

A.        You will receive a licensure packet in the mail including your license cards and a decorative wall certificate. You can also check licensure status by clicking on the link entitled License and Registration Search. Updates to this site are done daily at 6:00PM.   


Q.      Does Idaho have temporary licenses? 

A.       No. Licensure as a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant is available through either endorsement or examination. 

                                                                                                                                                                                                             Q.       Can I put my license on hold while I'm not actively practicing? Or is there an inactive license I can apply for

A.        No, Idaho does not have either an inactive license or a hold status. You can allow your license to lapse for a period of up to five (5) years before having to re-apply as if a new applicant. If you decide to reinstate your license within the five (5) year time frame you would be required to pay each year’s renewal fee(s), a onetime reinstatement fee, and show proof of CE for the total number of year(s) your license had been expired.  

                                                                                                                                                                                                  Q.         My license has lapsed, what must I do to re-activate it?

A.           A license that has been lapsed less than five years may be reinstated upon submission of a renewal application, payment of the renewal and re-instatement fees, and submit proof of completion for the required continuing education.

 If a license has been lapsed for more than five years, a new application for licensure is required. Please contact the Bureau.



Q.         How can I renew my license?

A.         Six weeks prior to your renewal date, this office will send a notice in the mail. You can submit the completed renewal application along with a check or money order for the appropriate fee.


Within six (6) weeks prior to the expiration date, you can renew your license on line with a credit card by clicking on the link entitled On-line Renewal Application.  


Q.         How many hours of continuing education do I need to maintain my license? Can I use excess hours for the next renewal?

A.         Licensees must annually complete sixteen (16) contact hours of continuing education prior to license renewal. Hours in excess may be carried forward and may be used only during the next renewal period and may not be carried forward more than one (1) time. For additional information regarding the CE requirement please refer to Rule 250.


Q.         When do I provide the documentation to the Board?

A.         There are two instances for which you are required to submit certificates of completion: 1) if you do not renew your license prior to the expiration date (your birth date) or 2) if you are randomly audited.


Q.      Do continuing education courses/seminars require pre-approval by the Board?

A.       No, if it meets the requirement as stated in Rule 250 it does not need to be reviewed by the Board. If you have a question as to whether or not it would meet the criteria you may submit an application for board review.   


Q.      Is there a listing of courses/seminars the Board has previously reviewed and approved for continuing education? 

A.       Yes, a list of approved courses/seminars may be found on the Board’s web site under the Continuing Education Requirements link.


Q.      I am a provider for continuing education. How can I obtain approval for my course(s)? 

A.       Board approval may be obtained by submitting a completed Continued Education Approval Application Form. These applications are reviewed by the Board during regularly scheduled meetings. To view when the next meeting is scheduled, click on the link entitled Calendar of Events.


Q.      How can I obtain a list of licensed physical therapists and/or assistants? Is there a fee? 

A.       You may obtain a licensure list from this site by clicking on the link entitled License and Registration Search. At the bottom of the search screen you will click on “Advanced Search.” Once you have entered the appropriate licensing information hit the “Start Search” option. To view mailing additional contact information including mailing addresses, click on the “Send to Excel” option. There is no fee.


Q.         Where can I find the supervision and ratio requirement for assistants, students, and/or supportive personnel?

A.         The requirements may be found under Board Rule 016. Ratios are addressed in sub-section .05 of this Rule.


Q.      Where can I find the requirements for licensure for foreign trained applicants in your state?

A.       Qualifications for foreign trained applicants may be found in Board statute under I.C. 54-2212.


Q.         If I am a foreign trained applicant, how do I know if my education will be accepted? Is an English proficiency exam required?

A.         You are required to have your education evaluated by an approved credentialing agency. This evaluation must state that your education is substantially equivalent to the requirements of physical therapists or physical therapist assistants educated in United States accredited educational programs.

Yes, those whose native language is not English shall submit proof of successfully passing one (1) of the following English proficiency exams:

a.      test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with minimum passing scores of two hundred twenty (220) for computer test and five hundred sixty (560) for paper test


b.      test of English as a Foreign Language - internet based test (TOEFL IBT) with minimum passing scores of twenty-four (24) in writing; twenty-six (26) in speaking, twenty-one (21) in reading, and eighteen (18) in listening


c.    as otherwise approved by the Board. 

Q.         Does Idaho allow dry needling?

A.  A law to allow qualified physical therapists to practice dry needling passed the 2018 Legislature and went into effect July 1, 2018.  The rules for the practice of dry needling, effective April 11, 2019, can be found on the Board’s webpage:, Rules 180 and 181.

Q.         Does the Board approve continuing education courses that include content that is not in the scope of the practice of physical     therapy? 

A.       The Board's Rule 250.01, 06.a.ii, and .07, requires continuing education courses for physical therapists and physical therapist assistant to be "integrally related and germane to the practice of the profession," and "relevant to physical therapy."

Using this standard, the Board's approval of a course for continuing education credit does not necessarily mean the entire subject matter of the course is within the scope of practice of a PT or a PTA. PTs and PTAs treat patients in conjunction with a variety of other health care professionals. Such a collaborative effort can require a PT or a PTA to have familiarity with and understanding of the treatments provided by other professionals even though the treatments are not within the scope of practice of physical therapy. For this reason, the Board approves some courses for continuing education even where the subject matter of the course is outside the scope of physical therapy practice in Idaho.


Q. Is Idaho a member of the FSBPT Licensure Compact?

A. The Idaho Physical Therapy Licensure Board has reviewed the Physical Therapy Compact (“Compact,”an agreement between member states to improve access to physical therapy services for the public by increasing the mobility of eligible physical therapy providers to work in multiple states). After thorough discussion, the Board has elected to defer membership in the Compact at this time.  Idaho law currently allows certain licensure exemptions, such as for personnel in the armed services, and the Board provides quick issuance of licensure to applicants at minimal cost and inconvenience.  The Board will continue to monitor the needs of applicants and act accordingly.