Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I obtain a license in Idaho to practice Optometry?

A:  Complete an application for licensure.  Send the application together with:

        the $110.00 application fee;

        a copy of your college diploma;

        completed open book state exam; and

        verification of your age

to the Bureau of Occupational Licenses, 700 West State Street, PO Box 83720 Boise, ID 83720-0063. 

You must also have the National Board send your scores for the National Board Examinations Part I, II, III and TMOD to the Bureau. 

You must also have your Optometry College send your college transcripts to the Bureau. 

If you hold a license in other states, you must contact those states and have them send verification of your license status to the Bureau.

Q: How do I tell if an Optometry licensee has diagnostic and therapeutic privileges?

A:  If the license starts with OD, then the licensee does not have diagnostic or therapeutic privileges.  If the license starts with ODD, then the licensee only has diagnostic privileges.  If the license starts with ODP, then the licensee holds both diagnostic and therapeutic privileges.

Q: I have let my license lapse, what must I do to activate that license?

A:  A license that has been lapsed less than five years may be reinstated upon submission of a renewal application together with the payment of all back renewal fees, a license re-instatement fee, and proof of completion of continuing education for each year the license was lapsed.  If a license has been lapsed for more than five years, a new application for licensure is required. Please contact the Bureau.

Q: I am applying for licensure in another state and they require verification of my license in Idaho. What do I need to do?

A:  Send a written request to:  The Bureau of Occupational Licenses, 700 West State Street PO Box 83720 Boise, ID 83720-0063 along with a $10.00 processing fee, and the address of the office that requires the verification. We will send the completed verification form directly to that state.

Q: Can I legally sell and dispense pharmaceutical agents from my practice?

A: Yes, provided you obtain Prescriber Drug Outlet Registration from the Idaho State Board of Pharmacy and comply with all laws and rules regarding the storage, patient counseling, packaging, dispensing technique and labeling of such agents.

Q: Can I obtain my CPR Certification through an online course?

A: Yes, provided there is a certificate of completion provided to the participating Optometrist.