Q.         What is the time frame for receiving a license once an application and required documentation is submitted?

A.         Once the application is complete, it is reviewed for compliance with law and rule.  If compliance is confirmed a license will be issued in approximately 3-5 business days. For those which require Board review, the time frame varies and is dependent on the date of the next scheduled Board meeting.


Q.          How can I verify when my license has been issued? 

A.         You will receive a licensure packet in the mail; including your license cards and a decorative wall certificate. Licensure status may also be verified by clicking on the link entitled  License and Registration Search.


Q.         What is the difference between a temporary license and a limited permit? 

A1.        A temporary license may be issued to an applicant who is currently licensed and in good standing to practice in another jurisdiction and meets the requirements for licensure by endorsement of the other jurisdiction while the application is being processed.

A2.       A limited permit may be granted to a graduate occupational therapist or a graduate occupational therapy assistant who has completed the education and experience requirements and shall allow the practice of occupational therapy under supervision as defined in Rule.


Q.         Where can I find the supervision requirement for assistants, students, and/or aides?

A.         The requirements can be found under Board Rule 011.

Q.         I am a licensed occupational therapist/occupational therapy assistant and have an aide working under my direct line of supervision. Can an aide deliver skilled therapy services?

A.        As per Rule 011.06. Aides do not provide skilled occupational therapy services. An aide is trained by an occupational therapist or an occupational therapy assistant to perform specifically delegated tasks. The occupational therapist is responsible for the overall use and actions of the aide. An aide first must demonstrate competency to be able to perform the assigned, delegated client and non-client tasks. The occupational therapist must oversee the development, documentation, and implementation of a plan to supervise and routinely assess the ability of the occupational therapy aide to carry out non-client and client-related tasks. The occupational therapy assistant may contribute to the development and documentation of this plan. An aide shall function only under the direct line of sight supervision of an occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant.

For a full review of the Board’s administrative rules; including specific tasks an aide may provide, please review the supervision Rule here.          

Q.         How can I renew my license?

A.         Six weeks prior to your renewal date the office will send a notice in the mail. You can submit the renewal application along with a check or money order for the appropriate fee.


Within six (6) weeks prior to the expiration date of your license, you may submit the On-line Renewal Application and pay the appropriate      fee(s) with a credit card. The link to the On-line Renewal Application may also may be found on the Bureau's homepage under "Quick Links", located on the right hand side of the screen.

Q.           My license has lapsed, what must I do to re-activate it?

A.           A license that has been lapsed less than five years may be reinstated upon submission of a renewal application together with the payment of the renewal, a re-instatement fee, and submission of the required continuing education documentation.

 If a license has been lapsed for more than five years, a new application for licensure is required. Please contact the Bureau.


Q.         Does Idaho have an inactive licensure status?

A.         Yes, the Board shall grant inactive status to a licensee who makes application and pays the required fee. Additional information can be found under Board Rule 030.


Q.         Where can I find requirements to perform physical agent modalities and/or wound care?

A.         Qualifications may be found under Board Rule 012.


Q.         If I have taken college courses and/or other courses in physical agent modalities and/or wound care how do I know if the course will meet the requirement?

A.         A syllabus, certificate of completion, or college transcript may be submitted for the Board to review during its regularly scheduled meetings. For a schedule of these meetings you may access the Board’s Calendar of Events page. Courses approved by AOTA and/or IOTA automatically meet the requirements. Online courses in physical agent modalities are acceptable if a ‘hands-on’ course is also taken.


Q.         How do I document supervised hours for performing physical modalities and/or wound care? If I have already met this requirement, what documentation is necessary for me to have?

A.         Documentation of supervision is the responsibility of the supervisee. The Board does not have specific recommendations for the manner in which supervision records are maintained. However if it becomes necessary to provide evidence of supervisory hours, a written record must be provided. If the supervision was received prior to this record keeping requirement, proof of employment, with a description of the practice area/use of modalities, is sufficient.  


Q.         What continuing education is required to maintain my license and what courses are approved by the board?

A.         See Board Rule 025


Q.        Do continuing education courses/seminars require pre-approval by the Board?

A.        No, if it meets the requirement in Board Rule 025 it does not need to be reviewed by the Board. If you have a question as to whether or not it would meet the criteria you may submit an application for review.  


Q.      Is there a listing of Board approved CE courses/seminars? 

A.       Yes. The link may be found on the Continuing Education Requirements page.


Q.      I am a provider for continuing education. How can I obtain approval for my course(s)? 

A.       Board approval may be obtained by submitting a completed Continued Education Approval Application Form.


Q.       I would like to obtain a list of licensed occupational therapists and/or assistants? Is there one available and is there a fee? 

A.       Yes, you may obtain a licensure list from this website by clicking on the link entitled License and Registration Search. At the bottom of the search screen you will click on “Advanced Search.” Once you have entered in the appropriate licensing information and hit the “Start Search” option, you may click on the “Send to Excel” option. This will provide an excel spreadsheet containing information that is a matter of public record; including mailing addresses for the licensees. There is no fee.


Q.         I am applying for licensure in another state and they require verification of my license in Idaho. What do I need to do? How long will it take to process my request?

A1.        You may submit a Request for License Certification form or send a written request to The Bureau of Occupational Licenses, 700 West State Street, PO Box 83720, Boise, ID 83720-0063.  Include a payment of $10 (money order, cashier’s check, certified check, or personal check) as well as the address the verification of your license needs to be sent to.

A2.       The processing time is 5-10 business days. The Bureau can not accept credit card payments over the phone.