Frequently Asked Questions

The Board of Landscape Architects receives recurring questions about whether the practice of landscape architecture includes the preparation and stamping/sealing of grading and drainage plans. 

The Board’s view is that the practice of landscape architecture includes the preparation and stamping/sealing of grading and drainage plans.  The Board has previously expressed this view in correspondence to various governmental officials.  A representative, March 6, 2008 letter discussing the Board’s view is attached here

The Board also has received a March 10, 2009 letter from Ada County Development Services explaining that “Ada County will accept grading and drainage plans prepared by licensed landscape architects.” A copy of the Board's letter is attached here. An the response letter is attached here.

Q:  I am licensed in another state as a Landscape Architect.  What do I have to do to become licensed in the State of Idaho?

A:  You must complete the application for licensure by endorsement.  Send this application along with the $75.00 application fee, $125.00 original licensure fee, and supporting documentation outlined on the application to the Bureau of Occupational Licenses.  If you hold a CLARB council record, you must also notify CLARB and instruct them to transmit your CLARB council record to the Bureau.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Q.  What is the time-line to receive my license once the application is submitted?

A:  Once all requested documentation has been received, the Idaho Board of Landscape Architects must review the application file. This will be done at the next scheduled Board meeting after your application file is complete.  You will receive written notice of the Board's decision after that review.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            How often does the Idaho Board of Landscape Architects meet? 

A.  Regular Board meetings are typically held quarterly. Refer to the Calendar of Events link for the next scheduled Board meeting.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Q.  Are there specifications on what my Idaho Landscape Architects seal should include?

A: Yes, the seal specifications can be found under Idaho Code 54-3003(9)(b)(i).

Q: Are there requirements regarding an Idaho Landscape Architect’s seal?

A: Yes, please click here.

Q: How do candidates register for the Landscape Architect Registration Examination (LARE)?

A: All candidates register for the exam via the Council of Landscape Architectural Registration Boards (CLARB) website.

Q: Do candidates need to obtain pre-approval to sit for the LARE exam?

A: No, the candidates go directly to the Council of Landscape Architectural Registration Boards (CLARB) website . CLARB evaluates the candidates eligibility to sit for the exam. Once the candidate’s eligibility is confirmed, they are given instructions on how to register for the exam by CLARB.

Q:  I have let my license lapse, what must I do to activate that license?

A:  A license that has been lapsed less than five years may be reinstated upon submission of a renewal application together with the payment of all back renewal fees, and a license re-instatement fee.  If a license has been lapsed for more than five years, a new application for licensure is required. Please contact the Bureau.

Q:  I am applying for licensure in another state and they require verification of my license in Idaho. What do I need to do?

A:  If you wish to receive an Official Certification of license status, a written request must be submitted to the Bureau together with the required $10.00 fee. 

Please submit the request to:

Bureau of Occupational Licenses
700 West State Street, PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0063

The certification will be processed in 2 to 5 business days.