Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  What is the time-line to receive my license once the application is submitted?

A: Once all requested documentation has been received, the State Board of Architectural Examiners must review the application file. This will be done at the next scheduled board meeting after your application file is complete.  You will receive written notice of the board's decision after that review.

Q:  How many hours of continuing education must I obtain, and what courses are approved?

A:  You must obtain a minimum of 12 hours of continuing education in architectural health, safety & welfare in the calendar year prior to renewal.  The board automatically approves all courses that pertain to the practice of Architecture, and that are approved by AIA, NCARB, or NAAB. The Board may also approve other courses that are germane.

Q:  I have let my license lapse, what must I do to activate that license?

A:  A license that has been lapsed less than five years may be reinstated upon submission of a renewal application together with the payment of all back renewal fees, a license re-instatement fee, and proof of completion of 12 hours of continuing education for each calendar year the license has been lapsed.  If a license has been lapsed for more than five years, a new application for licensure is required. Please contact the Division.

Q:  I am licensed in another state as an Architect.  What do I have to do to become licensed in the State of Idaho?

A:  You must complete the application for licensure by endorsement.  Send this application along with the $50.00 endorsement fee, to the Division of Occupational and Professional Licenses.  If you hold an NCARB record, you must also notify NCARB and instruct them to send your NCARB record to the Division. Any other state in which you hold a license must also send verification of that license to the Division. 

Q:  I am applying for licensure in another state and they require verification of my license in Idaho. What do I need to do?

A.  Each state requires different forms of certification of licensure. Please check with the state where you are applying to see what is required before requesting certification from Idaho.

Certifications can be obtained two ways from Idaho:

1. Free primary source verification of license/registration status may be obtained via the web at Click on search licenses and registrations. These certifications contain all public information.

2. If the receiving state doesn't accept web-based certifications or requires information exempt from third-party disclosure (example: exam scores) to be included in the certification, use this form, which must include a $10.00 fee. The processing time is 3-5 business days. The Bureau cannot accept payments over the phone.

Q:  Can I apply for a temporary permit to practice Architecture in the State of Idaho while I am waiting to receive my Idaho license?

A:  No. The temporary permit allows a person to only offer to render architectural services in the State of Idaho.  You must hold an active Idaho Architect License to practice Architect in the State of Idaho.

Q: I am an architect intern, where do I go to register for my exam?

A: Registration can be completed on NCARB's website by clicking here.

Q: What additional information is available regarding the exams, and where can I find it?

A: NCARB has provided links to Promote ARE 5 and Getting it Done!